I live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania (mid-Zone 6 to lower Zone 7, depending on whose map you use) and garden on four acres: about three acres of managed meadow and one acre of intensively planted garden and open shrubbery areas. This garden is entering its 21st year in 2022. Please note that Hayefield is a private garden and not open for public tours, and that I cannot do speaking engagements, either in person or by video.
I’ve had a lifelong love of plants, but it didn’t develop into a full-blown obsession until my late teens. I earned a B.S. degree in Agronomy and Environmental Science from Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, spending the summers working as a gardener on various estates in the Philadelphia area. I then worked at Rodale Press Garden Books as a Senior Associate Editor before leaving for a career as a freelance garden-book writer, editor, and photographer.
My writing and photography have appeared in a number of national gardening magazines, including Fine Gardening, Garden Gate, Horticulture, and The American Gardener. The covers of the April 2018 issue of Garden Gate, September/October 2018 issue of The American Gardener, and August 2019 issue of Fine Gardening have featured my photographs from my own garden.
I was thrilled to write and provide photography for a feature article about Hayefield in the October 2018 issue of Garden Gate magazine. (The first spread is below.)
I currently hold a Seed Dealer License in Pennsylvania and sell seeds from my garden and meadow areas here in the Hayefield seed shop.
Below are links to some of the books I’ve written. If you have any questions about them, feel free to contact me. (Please be aware that, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying Amazon purchases.)
- The Perennial Matchmaker: Create Amazing Combinations with Your Favorite Perennials [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Container Theme Gardens [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Five-Plant Gardens: 52 Ways to Grow a Perennial Garden with Just Five Plants [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Tried and True Perennials [at Amazon]
- The Perennial Care Manual: A Plant by Plant Guide [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Lessons from Linden Hill: Design Tips and Planning Pointers [at Amazon]
- Foliage: Astonishing Color and Texture beyond Flowers [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Fallscaping: Extending your Garden Season into Autumn [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Grasses: Versatile Partners for Uncommon Garden Design [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- The Perennial Gardener’s Design Primer [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Guide to Roses: How to Select and Grow 380 Roses [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Weekend Gardening Guide to Soil and Composting [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Easy Plant Propagation [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Landscaping with Herbs [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble]
- Rodale’s Successful Organic Gardening: Annuals and Bulbs [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble]
Photo at top by Rob Cardillo.