I live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, about 40 miles north of Philadelphia (mid-Zone 6 to lower Zone 7, depending on whose map you use). Under the supervision of my two alpacas, Duncan and Daniel, I garden here at Hayefield on four acres in full sun: about two acres of managed meadow, one acre of pasture, and one acre of intensively planted garden and open shrubbery areas. This garden is entering its 16th year in 2017.
My previous place, a bit north of here, was just a fifth of an acre, and mostly shaded. Besides the garden and greenhouse, it was home to Pendragon Perennials, a tiny rare-plant nursery that I started in 1995 and closed in 2000, when I ran out of gardening space and sold that house.
I’ve had a lifelong love of plants, but it didn’t develop into a full-blown obsession until my late teens. I earned a B.S. degree in Agronomy and Environmental Science from Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, spending the summers working as a gardener on various estates in the Philadelphia area. I then worked at Rodale Press Garden Books as a Senior Associate Editor before leaving for a career as a freelance garden-book writer, editor, and photographer. I also currently hold a Seed Dealers License in PA and sell seeds from my garden (along with botanical castings, eco prints, and other plant-related crafts) in my Etsy shop: Hayefield on Etsy.
Below are links to some of the books I’ve written. If you have any questions about my writings or images, feel free to contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that Hayefield is a private garden and not open for public tours.
- The Perennial Matchmaker: Create Amazing Combinations with Your Favorite Perennials [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Container Theme Gardens [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Five-Plant Gardens: 52 Ways to Grow a Perennial Garden with Just Five Plants [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Tried and True Perennials [at Amazon]
- The Perennial Care Manual: A Plant by Plant Guide [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Lessons from Linden Hill: Design Tips and Planning Pointers [at Amazon]
- Foliage: Astonishing Color and Texture beyond Flowers [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Fallscaping: Extending your Garden Season into Autumn [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Grasses: Versatile Partners for Uncommon Garden Design [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- The Perennial Gardener’s Design Primer [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Guide to Roses: How to Select and Grow 380 Roses [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Weekend Gardening Guide to Soil and Composting [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Taylor’s Easy Plant Propagation [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble; at IndieBound]
- Landscaping with Herbs [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble]
- Rodale’s Successful Organic Gardening: Annuals and Bulbs [at Amazon; at Barnes & Noble]
Photo at top by Rob Cardillo.