If you’re always on the hunt for out-of-the-ordinary seeds, you’ve come to the right place!
I live for the thrill of sowing and growing interesting plants each year, then collecting their seeds so other gardeners can try them too. I started with plant-society seed exchanges, then began doing my own yearly seed giveaway here at Hayefield. The response was so tremendous that I eventually acquired a Seed Dealer License from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PaPlants ID 007F9A) and started selling online to make it easier for others to find the seeds I have available.
What Makes Hayefield Seeds Special?
- All of the seeds I sell through Hayefield are collected from open-pollinated, unpatented, non-GMO plants grown in my Bucks County, PA, garden and meadow. I do not purchase and repack seeds from other sources.
- None of the plants I collect from have been treated with neonicotinoids or other chemical pesticides.
- I collect, clean, and pack all of the seeds by hand in small, hand-labeled, glassine (paper) envelopes to keep costs down and minimize packaging.
- As soon as I clean each year’s seeds, I toss what’s left of the previous year’s harvest in my garden, meadow, or compost pile, so you can be sure you are getting the freshest seeds possible.
- With so much hand work involved in producing these seeds, I can’t compete with big growers on price, so I focus on offering seeds that few or no other commercial seed sources offer. I encourage the folks who buy these special seeds to share them with other gardeners and seed exchanges so they don’t get lost to cultivation.
The hand-written label on each seed packet includes the botanical name, my contact information, a “packed for” date, a “sell-by” date, and a minimum seed count, as required by my seed dealer’s license from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. The packet does not include the germination information, so I suggest bookmarking the seed listing page or printing it for future reference.
As it is not possible for me to include everything there is to know about germinating and growing each plant, it is up to you to do further research before ordering. Make sure that the plant is suited for your site and climate, that it is not considered invasive in your area, and that it is safe and appropriate for the use you intend to make of it (that it is not toxic to children or pets, for example, if they have unsupervised access to your garden). If in doubt, do not order.
If the seeds do not perform to your satisfaction, please contact me to discuss refund or replacement. My liability is limited to what you paid for the seeds.