So…Bloom Day, right? Then where are the flowers? Thanks to the relatively cool temperatures we’ve had over the last month, they’re taking their sweet time showing up. That’s not to say there aren’t any, just not many.
Hmmm…that wasn’t a bad showing of blooms, actually. But it’s the fresh foliage that really shines this time of year.
And a few leafy combinations…
Only last week, we were dipping to just above freezing at night and didn’t even make it out of the 40s all day Saturday. The greenhouse was pretty packed, but it’s emptier now, due to a flurry of planting-out before Saturday’s soaking rain. Hey, there’s a floor again!
Getting the scented geraniums planted out in the front foundation border freed up even more greenhouse space. I scored quite a few new selections this spring, so there are over two dozen kinds in here, along with some miscellaneous annuals.
Now that the ground is well soaked, I’m looking forward to see what the garden will do when it gets into the upper 80s this coming week. I’m sure the plants will enjoy the warm weather more than I will.
The most exciting action of the past few weeks has been the change I hinted at last month. You see, all of my wooden fences and trellises–and arbors–are all about 15 years old now, and they’re all starting to crumble at the same time. The two big cedar arbors in the courtyard are the first to go, I suppose because they’ve been covered with vines much of that time.
This one is about to keel over, but I’m hoping it stays up long enough for the clematis to finish flowering.
The other arbor was getting unsafe, so I took it down last month. Finding arbors to replace these has been a challenge so far. As a temporary solution, I decided to move the two metal arbors from the side garden over here. They’re not wide enough to fill the spaces, though, so I salvaged two panels from the arbor that was previously here. I still have some straightening and painting to do, but it’ll have to serve the purpose until I find a permanent replacement.
As so often happens, this single project set off a chain of others.Though I couldn’t find new arbors I liked for the courtyard, I did find a style and color I thought would work in the now arbor-less side garden. And thanks to a great sale, quantity discounts, and free shipping, I was able to treat myself to six new arbors to create a tunnel-like effect over the path from the side door to the side gate.
And then there was a thank-you coupon, and the sale was still on, so I couldn’t resist getting some of these black metal arbors as well. Putting them together was easy; driving their feet 15 inches deep without hitting rocks was not.
They’re not grand, obviously, but really not bad for $30 each. And if half of the vines grow, the arbors will hardly be visible anyway.
I found quite a few clematis seedlings in the side garden, so most of the arbors have at least one of those, but it’ll be years yet until they are flowering size. For now, it’ll be various morning glories, moon vine, hyacinth beans, ‘Sunset’ runner beans, and some other experiments.
The last big project for this spring is turning this mess into a respectable-looking vegetable garden.
The garlic is thriving, but notice the large heap of Canada thistles in the lower left. Trying to keep ahead of those is a constant battle. But this year, I’m determined to spend a lot of time tending to the edibles. We’ll see if I manage to follow through on this nearly yearly resolution. In the meantime, I’ll wish you all a very happy May Bloom Day. And don’t forget to visit the main Bloom Day post at May Dreams Gardens. As you can guess from the name, it’s a very special time of year there!